Employee handbooks, also known as employee manuals or staff handbooks are books given to employees that contain information about company policies, procedures and other useful information that a new or existing employee might need.
This handbook is where a work place would be most likely to list all of your employment and job related information that you need to know as well as other things such as holidays off, company rules, any disciplinary actions that can be taken, and restrictions placed on employees, or any procedures that must be followed. These handbooks are usually very helpful to new employees when hired for advice, information and answers to simple questions. New companies should consult a business lawyer for assistance when creating an employee handbook in Walnut Creek.
What should be covered in an employee handbook?
While every company is different there are certain areas and categories that should be covered in an employee handbook in the East Bay, some if not all of the following could and should be covered:
- A welcome paragraph
- Full time and part time employee definitions
- Employee pay and benefits
- Conduct and discipline
- Employee performance guidelines
- Promotions and demotions
- Mail, telephone, company equipment, internet, email, company vehicles
- On job accidents
- Confidential information
- Social media policies
If a company is covered by the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), then the handbook must also cover information on FMLA.
It is a good idea to have an effective employee handbook. Some things to be considered before implementing your employee handbook however are as follows:
- You must keep your handbook current as the laws change.
- You must also have a handbook made for your specific state, not all states have the same laws.
- You should have a lawyer draw up and complete your employee handbook to help guard you against lawsuits from employees.
If you need help getting your company or organizations employee handbook drawn up or just need help understanding one that you were given, than do not hesitate to give Armand Estrada a call today to set up an in person appointment!